Thursday, January 5, 2012

Favorites of 2011 - Movies

Last year, my final official on-campus semester, was very easy. After 4 years of science classes I pretty much had my studying strategy down to a science, so I was more efficient academically and also more efficient socially ;D It was a good last semester, that's for sure. Thanks to my time saving study sessions, I was able to focus in on diverse readings, movies, t.v. shows, and the good ole college Thursday night entertainment. This post is all about my favorite things from 2011 that are still reeling in my brain. Some might come off as guilty pleasures, but I bet you will agree with several. Take some time to hang back and check out what I've kept myself busy with last semester.

My Favorite Movies of 2011

1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
After reading the first few chapters of this book I couldn't wait any longer to watch the new release of the re-made movie. Aft first, the book was hard to follow because it's written by a Swedish author; I finally started using the "Word Look up" setting on my Nook. I was probably averaging a look up every 10 words. Nevertheless, the book is a page turner and I still need to finish it among other e-downloads. The movie is a great English-language adaptation of the Swedish novel written by Stieg Larsson. It follows a journalist, Mikael Blomvist (Daniel Craig) , as he investigates the disappearance of a wealthy patriarch's niece from 40 years ago. He's aided by the punk computer hacker Lisbeth Salander (Rooney Mara). As they work together they uncover corruption that was beyond their imaginations. It has a great plot and the movie was well-directed by David Fincher, who's also known for Fight Club, Se7en, The Social Network, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Many of the actors were not known to me, but Daniel Craig pulled off another stunning performance as a brutal investigator along with his partner, Rooney Mara as Lisbeth Salander who's been in The Social Network, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Youth in Revolt. I highly recommend this movie for a lazy, calm Sunday afternoon. IMDB gives it 8.2/10 stars. 

2. The Help
I have a terrible habit of starting, or at least downloading sample e-books while I'm halfway through another book. This is another book where I read the sample and two chapters and decided to wait to finish it when I wasn't reading another book on the side. I still haven't been able to open it back up, so that's another 2012 goal. I did have time to see the movie when it first came out and, WOW, I'm a huge fan of the story line and I believe that Emma Stone nailed her character 100%. The movie (and book) is set in Mississippi during the 1960's, Skeeter (Stone) is a southern girl who returns from college determined to become a writer, but begins to turn some lives around when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent southern families. Aibileen (Davis), Skeeter's best friend's housekeeper, is the first to open up. Despite the controversy that this creates, Skeeter and Aibileen continue their collaboration and soon more women come forward with their stories. Along the way, unlikely friendships are created and a new sisterhood emerges, but not before everyone in town has something to say about the changing times. I love reading about the civil rights movement and Emma Stone, Viola Davis, and Octavia Spencer pulls it off in this knockout 8.0/10 (IMDB) stars drama.

3. Super 8 
Directed by J.J Abrams and produced by Stephen Spielberg, Super 8 reminded me of a modern day Goonies. The starring characters were kids attempting to star in their very own movie within the movie during the summer of 1979. This group of friends witness a terrifying train crash while making a super 8 movie and they soon suspect that it's not an accident. Unusual disappearances and unexplained events begin to happen in the town. While the deputy tries to uncover the truth, wilder things begin to take place. The lighting throughout the movie was vivid and occasionally dark, with a solid streak of light beaming from light sources in frame. It all added to the awesome Sci-fi, Thriller feel that is, Super 8. IMDB gave it 7.3/10 stars.

Honorable Mention

1. Limitless: 

2. Bridesmaids: 

3. Horrible Bosses:

4. Thor:

5. The Hangover Pt. 2:

Popular Movies of 2011 To See

1.  Hanna:

2. Moneyball:

3. Midnight in Paris:


Next Post: Favorites of 2011 - T.V. Shows

1 comment:

  1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is so awesome! But you should check out the Swedish movie trilogy on Netflix; everyone I've talked to prefers the Swedish version to the American one, despite Daniel Craig's good looks haha

    ReplyDelete